Thank you for the invitation and the introduction.
I am delighted to be here at the 15th Sculpture by the Sea here in Cottesloe.
I acknowledge all special guests – and I also want to acknowledge, applaud and thank David Handley, the Board of Sculpture by the Sea, the staff, the donors and all of the volunteers who devote themselves to this event every year. They do it for us – for our enjoyment and benefit – and so, truly – thank you.
This event represents and promotes so much about our beautiful state of WA:
- It celebrates and promotes the Arts and culture: both of which are vital ingredients of a good society: we need the arts to stimulate our senses, to give us joy and pleasure – and to challenge us;
- It celebrates and promotes the community:
- The local community – and Mayor Philip Angers has just mentioned;
- Our state community: visitors from all over the city of Perth and regional WA come to visit: for many – it is an annual ‘family and friends’ event – and they take joy and pride in it; it also showcases brilliant local artists and gives them a very public stage in which they can show off their incredible talents;
- Nationally and internationally…. It brings international artists to our states – and it also promotes us on the national and international stage:
- It showcases our beautiful environment
- It showcases our openness and inclusivity as a country: about how we come together in all our difference and diversity.
- Is about community
- Is about art and culture
- Is about our beautiful environment
- It is great for the economy
- And it reflects us a State and a Nation.
Long may it continue!!!!
My job today is to announce the winner of the ANDREA STRETTON MEMORIAL INVITATION AWARD: the award is an invitation for the artist to exhibit at Sculpture by the Sea, Bondi 2019.
I am delighted to announce that the award is going to WA artist JANINE MCAULLEY BOTT for her fabulous work Vintage Bush Truck.